Optronic - Day, I² (Image Intensifier) and I.R. (Infra-red Thermal) vision systems
Day and Night vision was one of the first sectors in which MES devoted its resources in chronological order, and it has over the years taken over the Italian market, becoming the sole supplier of day Periscopes, night and day driver’s scopes for tanks and armoured vehicles and night and day sight for lightweight weapon to the Italian Armed Forces.
VG-DIL 186 imp, Night and Day driver’s scope
Designed for driving can be used on any wheeled or tracked armoured vehicle. It is used by the Italian Army on several vehicles, including the Ariete tank, Centauro and Puma armoured personnel carriers and Dardo tracked vehicle. It has also been chosen by the Spanish Armed Forces on its Centauro vehicles, and it is installed on the PZH2000 Italia self propelled howitzer.
The driver’s scope consists of the following main module:
- Passive Night vision Goggles I²
- Day light glass Periscope
Using the VG-DIL 186 imp it is possible to drive the vehicle in the following condition:
- Night time, closed hatch with Goggles and Interface modules installed on Periscope
- Night time, opened hatch and driver wearing Goggles module only
- Day time, closed hatch through only Periscope
LYNX, Day and Night observation and aiming sight
Lynx allows observation and aiming for light and squad weapons. This system uses a technical solution that enables it to be used in daylight, as a traditional aiming system, and by night, using I² technology. More than 1,300 units have been supplied to the Italian Army, which is currently using it in international missions. It is currently the only fully integrated day and night aiming system available on the market.
The LYNX system is extremely robust and allows the use on heavy machine guns (i.e. 12.7mm), not possible with other similar systems.
The VGI-213 using indirect vision, stereoscopic multi sensors allows a safe and practical driving of the vehicle, even for long periods of time, ( 2-3 hours ), on all 24 hours and in all weather conditions through the fulfillment of the following requirements:
- Vision indirect inside the vehicle to ensure the safety of the driver
- Magnification Unit
- Vision Stereoscopic binocular (two-channel electro-optical)
- Observation of the image of the scene without triggering the physiological mechanism of the eye, particularly stressful to low levels of illumination
- Position of guidance is suitable with the current ergonomics of the vehicle, and in any case such as it can be maintained for long periods of consecutive driving
- High reliability
- Use of sensors in the visible and near-infrared (350-1100nm) and in 'infrared (8-14µm)
- EMCCD: allows day and night driving (up to 10-² lux) with a single device, providing high dynamic and high linear resolution
- Uncooled IR: allows driving in adverse conditions (fog, mist, smoke) and improves the ability to explore the potential threats within the scenario